Ski Resorts in Aspen Snowmass, Colorado
One of the most popular skiing destinations in Colorado, the four ski resorts that make up Aspen serve up some epic skiing for all abilities while the lively town is an attraction in itself.
- Iconic Colorado ski destination with exceptional skiing
- All four resorts are included under the same lift ticket
- Vivid town of Aspen is known for its legendary après ski
- Expensive place to ski
- Far from Denver compared to other household names in Colorado
- Some resorts such as Aspen Highlands receives inconsistent snowfall
- Fly into Aspen-Pitkin County Airport or Denver International Airport. Denver services cheaper and more international flights than Aspen-Pitkin, although it’s much further away.
- Best way to resorts from Aspen-Pitkin County Airport is by bus. All four resorts are relatively close the airport, with the nearest being 2 km and furthest less than 11 km. Driving is also an option if you prefer the convenience. From Denver International Airport, it’s a 4 hour drive or 4.5 hour shuttle to Aspen.
For advanced and expert skiers, Aspen Highlands is the place to be. It has the gnarliest terrain out of all the Aspen ski resorts and is known for having Colorado’s best steep, big mountain, in-bounds skiing. Naturally the difficulty of this mountain means beginners and intermediates won’t be making an appearance here, allowing it to be the least crowded of all four resorts.
With the party town of Aspen sitting at its base, Aspen Mountain or “Ajax” was the first of the four ski resorts to open. Known as a “skier’s mountain”, almost half of the trails here are graded for intermediates although the steep terrain and mogul-filled runs make it quite exciting for experts.
Very much the beginner’s mountain of the four, Buttermilk’s mellow-pitched slopes makes it a perfect learning ground for never-evers. It’s also the smallest of the four and though it might seem harmless, it is home to some incredible terrain parks and even hosts the infamous X Games annually.
The family-friendly resort of Snowmass is the largest of all four resorts and while it’s only a 14 km drive from downtown Aspen, the base village at Snowmass has everything you’d need. This all-rounder resort has slopes for everyone from beginners to advanced skiers and snowboarders.
|Best for Beginners||Buttermilk|
|Best for Intermediates||Aspen Mountain|
|Best for Advanced and Experts||Aspen Highlands, Aspen Mountain|
|Best for All-rounder||Snowmass|
|Highest Summit Elevation||Snowmass|
|Highest number of runs||Aspen Highlands|
|Largest ski area||Snowmass|
|Highest number of lists||Snowmass|